Let me start by saying, although I love the idea of refashioning and I´ve had quite a few pieces I kept to upcycle over the years, I have failed pretty much every single time. Not with the project itself, with actually sitting down and doing it. I was even surprised with myself when I decided I´m gonna actually give this a shot this time. So, one fine morning I went down to the one of three charity shops of my little town and scored a beautiful light green 100% worsted wool suit for the incredible price of E1.50.
Yeah, ONE EURO AND FIFTY CENTS.
I mean, if I found a bolt of this fabric somewhere, the only thing stopping me would be the price! I knew I wanted to make trousers, cause where I live it´s cold and wooly trousers are the way to go. I played around a lot with different ideas, and I was super happy to find out I could put my legs into the sleeves up to knee height! So I had the lower leg of my trousers ready, and hemmed, and with buttons!
Then I used the front pieces of the jacket for the front of the thighs. I wanted the pocket to be more towards the side, but the logistics of it didn´t work out. Now, I love that massive front pocket. Obsiously it is more decorative than functional but, that´s ok.
The back of the pant I kept it pretty straight forward. I used the back piece of the trousers but fitted it to my body. It worked pretty well I must say!
Then, the waistband. I knew from the beginning I wanted to make a feature out of the collar, and I´m very happy with how this turned out. There was some head scratching as to where to cut it and how to put it together but it all worked fine. The only bummer is that my (one and only) local habberdashery didn´t have a zip in the right colour, so that´s why my invisible zip is in fact, visible.
All in all I´m super pleased with my first ever refashion! I enjoyed the puzzle process a ton, and I don´t think I would ever get a make like this out of a pattern. I did use a pattern as rough guide, the Sew Over It Ultimate Trousers. Also, there was a massive difference in the way I sewed this piece. Usually I sew quite fast and make good progress in my makes in the short periods of time I get for sewing. With this one, because there were no steps to follow and, let´s face it I was winging it every time, I only solved one “problem” at the time and then I had to walk away and let it sit. Although this was not satisfying as a rich and fast sewing time, it was super gratifying as creative problem solving time. A very different way to approach sewing, and I must say I loved it! And since then, I´ve been to the charity shop twice and scored a couple of pieces that I´m excited to transform. This is a super win for me for another reason. Where I live there are no fabric shops (I know!) so it´s either fabric shopping online, or when travelling which I do of course. However, seeing thrifted items as fabric buying just like Portia talks about on the Love to Sew podcast, gave me a third option.
So thanks for this!
For all of it!